Skip to main content

Spring Break Continues

I loved listening to conference Saturday and Sunday night. I especially loved the Sunday afternoon session. Um...I'm going to copy and paste what I e-mailed to my dad. It's too easy.
Great sessions today, especially the last. I loved Elder Bednar's talk on prayer. I have really been trying to focus on making my prayers more meaningful of late. A sister in our ward shared something she learned on her mission a few Sundays ago. She said to ask Heavenly Father what we should pray for. It seemed a little bizarre but I was intrigued. I tried it a few nights ago and immediately had about four very distinct impressions fill my head of things I should pray for. Some were just things that had slipped out of my regular prayers and others were things that I should have thought to pray for but hadn't. It worked again last night as well. Plus, now those things are more in my mind throughout the day and I can say little prayers. One of the impressions was that I should pray for the time to say meaningful prayers and to meditate. I've been wanting to be better but always feel so tired and rushed. It was really neat to immediately feel that time for prayer was something I should pray for and yet had never thought of asking for. Poor Sadie heard a story by Elder Bednar. It was about a little four year old girl that died and Sadie was bawling for about 45 minutes. We said a prayer that she would feel better, that she would know that the little girl was happy in Heaven, and she also asked me to ask Heavenly Father to not let her die so she wouldn't leave our family. It was pretty sweet (the Sadie story was from an e-mail to Mike).
It was amazing to really see the mantle rest on Pres. Monson. It just hadn't seemed real to me until today that he was our prophet. I have no doubt in my mind that he is our living prophet on the earth. I also loved M. Russel Ballard's talk for young mothers.

m. russel ballard

young mothers

no role in life more essential or more eternal

no one way to be a perfect mother

crucial to focus on the children the time that they are with us

this falls to mothers and fathers

mothers are primary nurturers

four questions
1. What can you do as a mother to reduce pressure?
Joy comes in fleeting moments, don't rush past these moments. Live in the moment. do a little more, get done a little less

2. don't over schedule yourselves.
unstructured time.

3. find some time for yourselves to cultivate interests.
replenish yourself. Avoid any kind of substance abuse. don't waste time surfing the internet or watching t.v,

4. pray, study, and teach the gospel.

what can a husband do? show more appreciation, more validation. recognize her work, give wife a day away, discuss needs of each child, come home from work and take an active role in families

what can children do to help mom? pick up toys, make bed, dishes, without being asked, say thank you more often, tell your mom you love her.

what can the church do? ward leaders be especially watchful and be wise what they are asked to do at this time in their lives.

by small and simple things are great things brought to pass- my favorite scripture:).

I also liked the talk on family traditions from the Saturday morning session. I started a couple of minutes late so I didn't catch who gave the talk but here are those notes-

What is good, more importantly what is good enough?

3 Nephi 6&14
Mosiah

Our personal conversion comes from living the way God would have us live, personal refinement comes from making an effort to make ourselves better each day.

make our traditions righteous traditions

are our family traditions giving our children a firm foundation in the Lord?

service, activity in the church, love and respect in the home, prayer, scripture study should be some of these traditions

giving our children the knowledge that we are always standing on the Lord's side.


L. Tom Perry also gave an excellent talk about The Book of Mormon and its importance in relation to the Bible. I really want to share this with my friend Jasmine. She asked me about this specifically a few weeks ago. I hope I can find a time to have her watch just that talk.


Today itself was kind of a tough day for all of us. Let me show you our Spring Break weather-


But... when this is how you wake up in the morning things can't be too terribly bad.


Tomorrow we are supposed to have some sun so hopefully we'll get out for a little bit. I think that's enough of me for tonight.
Blog out, Brooke

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MICHAEL IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!!

My Michael is coming home . You can't just say it. You have to SING it. Tomorrow my tall, strong, gorgeous, husband will be here and it will be beautiful. He will nestle into the life of our family and we will have him with us, here, in our house, in our family . He'll help put on jammies and read stories, and tutor Jane in math. He'll take me on dates and wrestle at least one child during sacrament meeting. He'll snuggle me in bed at night and nuzzle my neck while I'm doing dishes. We'll go for walks and play games and watch movies and do fun family Saturday stuff. He'll help carry a kid down to the car and then he'll drive while I put on my makeup ! We love him, we know how much he loves us. We can't wait! Don't worry, I won't work him to death. I won't make him cook dinner every night for the next 10 months or hand over the kids and take off to the spa for the weekend (tempting, but... no). We just want him HERE. I kee...

Fun weeks!!!

These past two weeks- three weeks have been quite fun. Up till now school has been really hard. With friends and work. This Jenna that I beleive has already been mentioned is really mean to me. We were best friends one day and the next she had made friends with a drama causer/ bad influence and completely dumped me. It's stupid and I really do try to ignore it but it is more than I can handle. Now I'm lonely in school(because we together had a small group of friends) . I have one other friend so that is good. I hope everything straightens out because she is still being rude to me. Tomorrow is flute auditions. I hope that goes well and I also hope I get my braces off tomorrow. Lots of HOPE. Right now I am watching American Idol with my wonderful family who is the best friend I'll always have. I love taking care of my little siblings. They are always so fun and make me so happy. My mom tries so hard to be a an amazing mother and I appreciate her so much. She is my best friend...

Almost a week already?

I swear I just wrote and yet it is two hours away from Wednesday again. You know sometimes I like to pretend that no one reads my blog and I just ignore the fact that I have anyone reading and then sometimes I just want to write directly to my family and friends that read the blog. I'm fickle like that I guess. This past weekend just seemed really great to me. Friday I felt really ill, just a bad cold but I chose to just stay down for the day and try to recover (cold mostly gone in 3 days by the way)so Friday night we did a pizza night. Aunt Jackie, I'm having the same problem with Fit for Life. I keep expanding my free days and also I am eating way out of control on the free day. A binge if you will. I need to rein in again. Superbowl Sunday and Valentine's Day did not help at all! Which brings me back to pizza night. I saw an ad for $10 pizzas from Pizza Hut. Domino's pizza- fine. Papa John's- I can pass, but when I saw that Pizza Hut special I had to ...