Skip to main content

Oh, for the Love of Electricity

I mentioned that it was supposed to rain for Sawyer's birthday, well, that was a bit of an understatement. In the middle of the night Monday night it began to rain. Tuesday we were drenched. My friend, Jen, and her girls came over and we played games and braved a trip to Target and a little cruise along the beach to check out the waves. The wind was blowing, rain was pelting, the air was filled with all matter or debris,... leaves, sticks, small children, annoying little dogs. As the day progressed the storm worsened. We lost power a few times, we sent Ellyn's tutor home early, fearing for her life. We lost power for good.

Let me tell you how pleased I was that we had a gas stove. It only wanted for a match. Our hot water heater was gas too. Sweet. I made spaghetti and we ate by candle light. Tuesday night we (the kids and I, Mike did not join in the fray. His i-phone still worked after all!) sang songs, did the hokey pokey, played "flashlight freeze pose game." We had a great time. The storm raged on with high winds, thunder, driving rain. The older girls slept in the living room. We chose to celebrate Sawyer's birthday on a day when he could SEE his presents and cake.

Sometime towards morning the rain and the wind died away. We awoke to a courtyard and driveway filled with branches, leaves, berry seed things, but no damage. However, we still didn't have electricity. As I swept our driveway my neighbor arrived home. She was completely distraught. We were to live without electricity for the next four to five days, a huge tree had taken down all the lines a block and a half away. My immediate response was "I'm going to Washington." However, thinking thoroughly through the logistics of it all I concluded that we would stay here. My oldest daughter was despondent. "What in the world were we supposed to do without electricity?" Part of me wanted to stay at home just to prove to her that life does go on without computers and movies.

We spent all of Wednesday without power, the rumors were improving however. A neighbor down the street had talked to another neighbor who had talked to a PG&E service guy who said that they were really trying to get our power back on by Thursday morning. I seriously wonder if their pockets were being lined by a few richies in the neighborhood. If so, GREAT! I took all of our frozen food over to Jen's deep freeze. My fridge was staying surprisingly cold. I was impressed.

Mike had to stay at school until late working on homework. I dropped Jane off at mutual and took the kids to McDonald's. I could have cooked at home but I thought it was a good way to spend the evening. At 5:30 Thursday morning our power returned. Our family was cheering, sleepy, thankful for electricity cheers.

This is what I learned- I'm fine without T.V., I HAVE to have a washer and a freezer. Also, when I build a house I will have a gas stove and a gas hot water heater. Definitely.
(pics to follow)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MICHAEL IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!!

My Michael is coming home . You can't just say it. You have to SING it. Tomorrow my tall, strong, gorgeous, husband will be here and it will be beautiful. He will nestle into the life of our family and we will have him with us, here, in our house, in our family . He'll help put on jammies and read stories, and tutor Jane in math. He'll take me on dates and wrestle at least one child during sacrament meeting. He'll snuggle me in bed at night and nuzzle my neck while I'm doing dishes. We'll go for walks and play games and watch movies and do fun family Saturday stuff. He'll help carry a kid down to the car and then he'll drive while I put on my makeup ! We love him, we know how much he loves us. We can't wait! Don't worry, I won't work him to death. I won't make him cook dinner every night for the next 10 months or hand over the kids and take off to the spa for the weekend (tempting, but... no). We just want him HERE. I kee...

Fun weeks!!!

These past two weeks- three weeks have been quite fun. Up till now school has been really hard. With friends and work. This Jenna that I beleive has already been mentioned is really mean to me. We were best friends one day and the next she had made friends with a drama causer/ bad influence and completely dumped me. It's stupid and I really do try to ignore it but it is more than I can handle. Now I'm lonely in school(because we together had a small group of friends) . I have one other friend so that is good. I hope everything straightens out because she is still being rude to me. Tomorrow is flute auditions. I hope that goes well and I also hope I get my braces off tomorrow. Lots of HOPE. Right now I am watching American Idol with my wonderful family who is the best friend I'll always have. I love taking care of my little siblings. They are always so fun and make me so happy. My mom tries so hard to be a an amazing mother and I appreciate her so much. She is my best friend...

Almost a week already?

I swear I just wrote and yet it is two hours away from Wednesday again. You know sometimes I like to pretend that no one reads my blog and I just ignore the fact that I have anyone reading and then sometimes I just want to write directly to my family and friends that read the blog. I'm fickle like that I guess. This past weekend just seemed really great to me. Friday I felt really ill, just a bad cold but I chose to just stay down for the day and try to recover (cold mostly gone in 3 days by the way)so Friday night we did a pizza night. Aunt Jackie, I'm having the same problem with Fit for Life. I keep expanding my free days and also I am eating way out of control on the free day. A binge if you will. I need to rein in again. Superbowl Sunday and Valentine's Day did not help at all! Which brings me back to pizza night. I saw an ad for $10 pizzas from Pizza Hut. Domino's pizza- fine. Papa John's- I can pass, but when I saw that Pizza Hut special I had to ...