I mentioned that it was supposed to rain for Sawyer's birthday, well, that was a bit of an understatement. In the middle of the night Monday night it began to rain. Tuesday we were drenched. My friend, Jen, and her girls came over and we played games and braved a trip to Target and a little cruise along the beach to check out the waves. The wind was blowing, rain was pelting, the air was filled with all matter or debris,... leaves, sticks, small children, annoying little dogs. As the day progressed the storm worsened. We lost power a few times, we sent Ellyn's tutor home early, fearing for her life. We lost power for good.
Let me tell you how pleased I was that we had a gas stove. It only wanted for a match. Our hot water heater was gas too. Sweet. I made spaghetti and we ate by candle light. Tuesday night we (the kids and I, Mike did not join in the fray. His i-phone still worked after all!) sang songs, did the hokey pokey, played "flashlight freeze pose game." We had a great time. The storm raged on with high winds, thunder, driving rain. The older girls slept in the living room. We chose to celebrate Sawyer's birthday on a day when he could SEE his presents and cake.
Sometime towards morning the rain and the wind died away. We awoke to a courtyard and driveway filled with branches, leaves, berry seed things, but no damage. However, we still didn't have electricity. As I swept our driveway my neighbor arrived home. She was completely distraught. We were to live without electricity for the next four to five days, a huge tree had taken down all the lines a block and a half away. My immediate response was "I'm going to Washington." However, thinking thoroughly through the logistics of it all I concluded that we would stay here. My oldest daughter was despondent. "What in the world were we supposed to do without electricity?" Part of me wanted to stay at home just to prove to her that life does go on without computers and movies.
We spent all of Wednesday without power, the rumors were improving however. A neighbor down the street had talked to another neighbor who had talked to a PG&E service guy who said that they were really trying to get our power back on by Thursday morning. I seriously wonder if their pockets were being lined by a few richies in the neighborhood. If so, GREAT! I took all of our frozen food over to Jen's deep freeze. My fridge was staying surprisingly cold. I was impressed.
Mike had to stay at school until late working on homework. I dropped Jane off at mutual and took the kids to McDonald's. I could have cooked at home but I thought it was a good way to spend the evening. At 5:30 Thursday morning our power returned. Our family was cheering, sleepy, thankful for electricity cheers.
This is what I learned- I'm fine without T.V., I HAVE to have a washer and a freezer. Also, when I build a house I will have a gas stove and a gas hot water heater. Definitely.
(pics to follow)
Let me tell you how pleased I was that we had a gas stove. It only wanted for a match. Our hot water heater was gas too. Sweet. I made spaghetti and we ate by candle light. Tuesday night we (the kids and I, Mike did not join in the fray. His i-phone still worked after all!) sang songs, did the hokey pokey, played "flashlight freeze pose game." We had a great time. The storm raged on with high winds, thunder, driving rain. The older girls slept in the living room. We chose to celebrate Sawyer's birthday on a day when he could SEE his presents and cake.
Sometime towards morning the rain and the wind died away. We awoke to a courtyard and driveway filled with branches, leaves, berry seed things, but no damage. However, we still didn't have electricity. As I swept our driveway my neighbor arrived home. She was completely distraught. We were to live without electricity for the next four to five days, a huge tree had taken down all the lines a block and a half away. My immediate response was "I'm going to Washington." However, thinking thoroughly through the logistics of it all I concluded that we would stay here. My oldest daughter was despondent. "What in the world were we supposed to do without electricity?" Part of me wanted to stay at home just to prove to her that life does go on without computers and movies.
We spent all of Wednesday without power, the rumors were improving however. A neighbor down the street had talked to another neighbor who had talked to a PG&E service guy who said that they were really trying to get our power back on by Thursday morning. I seriously wonder if their pockets were being lined by a few richies in the neighborhood. If so, GREAT! I took all of our frozen food over to Jen's deep freeze. My fridge was staying surprisingly cold. I was impressed.
Mike had to stay at school until late working on homework. I dropped Jane off at mutual and took the kids to McDonald's. I could have cooked at home but I thought it was a good way to spend the evening. At 5:30 Thursday morning our power returned. Our family was cheering, sleepy, thankful for electricity cheers.
This is what I learned- I'm fine without T.V., I HAVE to have a washer and a freezer. Also, when I build a house I will have a gas stove and a gas hot water heater. Definitely.
(pics to follow)
Comments