Skip to main content

Where Do Babies Come From?

Over the past few weeks Sadie has been venturing into a few theories of her own as to how babies are made. Her latest- a pill that Heavenly Father sends down to your house, you find it, and on the pill it says "Eat this to have a baby." Luckily I have not found any such pills at this house, if I did I think I would perhaps regift it to a younger cousin or maybe to one of my sister in laws. There should be no such pills sneaking onto my countertop, waiting quietly by my toothbrush, or perhaps next to my water glass at the kitchen sink.

This would be an effective method though.

I was sharing this latest development with Mike and he laughed and suggested it might be time to "have the talk."

Mike-"Wasn't Jane this age when she found out?"

Me- "Yeah, but...." and we both cringed- our Sadie.

Jane was almost exactly Sadie's age when I found out I was pregnant with Ellyn (I could be wrong, my mind isn't really working too well as of 2004). I remember the day perfectly. Jane and I were walking to the pool from our house on Stuart Ave. Sadie was a one year old in the jogging stroller. Jane looked up at me and said that she knew how babies grew and how they were born but how did they begin. I asked her what she thought might happen and she answered "The power of the Priesthood?" I giggled (I know, I have never been one of these sage mothers, completely in control and never causing their child embarrassment or discomfort, also, I have a dirty mind). I had a quick silent mental debate and decided that I would rather she heard it from me while she was a little young, than some distorted story on the playground. So as we walked I told her an edited version of the birds and the bees. She looked up with surprise a few times, asked a few thoughtful questions, asked if we did that, and that was that. A few years later I had to give her a little refresher course. I'm sure we'll have a few more over the course of her life and I am hoping that I am giving it just the right amount of "this is a comfortable topic, this is a sacred topic, this is a fun topic"- that part just is mostly when I gross her out by telling her that her dad has a cute butt.

Sadie is going to be a whole new ball game. I can just tell, she is going to be fascinated, ask a million questions, blurt out some little tidbit at a church Linger Longer. She will be the one at the playground gathering her friends together to share. Not because she won't understand that its special and sacred and private, but because she will have rationalized that something this special needs to be shared by a really good friend. "Girls, I have something very important to tell you. Once you know, you will realize that we should not have ANY boyfriends for a long time. Ellie, please tell Avery H. that even though 15 boys like me I can not have a boyfriend based on the information that I am about to share with you." Sadie does talk like that, I'm not making it up. She also reported to me today that 15 boys do indeed like her.

I'm in a quandary. For now I will let her think it is a little pill but the time fast approaches that some other kid will be sharing at the playground and I want to be ahead of the game.

Blog Out

Comments

Mindi said…
Dang it, Brooke, that is funny. Sierra has never asked or expressed any theories about where the baby came from. I better give the talk before Adam does :)
Darla said…
Oh Brookie. You're so funny. Last night I spent the night at my Aunt Renee's and Cole and I were up reading/talking after the girls were asleep. He wanted to know where we came from, how Jesus was in Mary's stomach, but then was also before Mary's time, etc. It was crazy. And of course, he asked where babies come from.., but when I tried to explain it came from mommies and daddies, he didn't seem to interested. Then he wanted to talk about the universe.

Popular posts from this blog

2018 and Another Go!

For almost three years I have been thinking how very sad it is that I hadn't continued to keep a journal of our family activities.  No more deployment letters and emails to Mike, no more family blog to keep grandparents and aunts and uncles connected to our family.  Nothing but printed off monthly calendars saved in a file somewhere.  I guess our family blog died a slow death when we lived in Washington and we were seeing everyone all of the time.  It just was not important to keep everyone informed.  They were right there with us.  I did not stop, in all the chaos, to think how very important the blog might be to me, or to my children.  I have often thought of the cute pictures and quotes we had saved on our family blog.  I thought of the interviews I did with the kiddos, and how grateful I was that, somewhere, on a dusty webpage, those beautiful faces, those funny antics, still existed.  I have checked to make sure the blog still existed fr...

MICHAEL IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!!

My Michael is coming home . You can't just say it. You have to SING it. Tomorrow my tall, strong, gorgeous, husband will be here and it will be beautiful. He will nestle into the life of our family and we will have him with us, here, in our house, in our family . He'll help put on jammies and read stories, and tutor Jane in math. He'll take me on dates and wrestle at least one child during sacrament meeting. He'll snuggle me in bed at night and nuzzle my neck while I'm doing dishes. We'll go for walks and play games and watch movies and do fun family Saturday stuff. He'll help carry a kid down to the car and then he'll drive while I put on my makeup ! We love him, we know how much he loves us. We can't wait! Don't worry, I won't work him to death. I won't make him cook dinner every night for the next 10 months or hand over the kids and take off to the spa for the weekend (tempting, but... no). We just want him HERE. I kee...
November 7, 2020, My Beautiful and Wise Daughter, Jane. I can breathe again. I won't be going to bed with my stomach in knots and my whole body feeling tight. I won’t be listening to a President who gains momentum by tearing others down. I won’t be going to sleep worrying that my children won’t have clean water to drink or clean air to breathe. I won’t be going to sleep thinking about the horrific experiences of children being torn from their mother’s and father’s arms because they were seeking refuge. I won’t be living in fear of the rapidly-growing racist attitudes and prejudice—that someday harm would come upon my baby that I have now and my future children. That my sister and my cousin and others that I love won’t be stripped of their rights and feel like they are any less of a human being than the rest of us. If this election wasn’t going to change anything for you and if you didn’t see the harm that Trump was causing, that is great and I’m sincerely glad that you have that p...