Today I got teary when I walked into the commissary. I know, as my title states. I haven't been to the commissary for a few months and I just had a feeling of home (as much as I truly dislike the commissary- it is such a huge task, shopping list, boy child throwing butter and clorox wipes and blocks of cheese out of the cart over and over again, overflowing shopping cart- 40 minute drive). But... it was comfortable and familiar and brought back memories of living in Germany and Georgia.
I love it here, I really do (almost all the time, my blog last week is evidence of that) but I still miss Germany and Georgia. My heart aches for both of those places.
The humidity, sun, storms, green grass, fireflies, wisteria, spanish moss. Our idyllic little lifestyle in our protected little neighborhoods. Walks on warm evenings with kids and bikes and stroller and husband or friends. Sundresses and sandals and no need for a jacket. Great local restaurants, early morning or late night runs. Savannah, Disney World and Northern Georgia just a few hours away. Heavenly.

And Germany... what can you say? Of course I love that if I need to run to the store I can find a quick parking spot and run in to Old Navy or Target or Michaels or Costco. But... there is something fabulous about parking blocks away and ambling down cobblestone roads to do your shopping. Then stopping for ice cream cones and sitting at a little cafe table in the markplatz in the cool shadow of a centuries old church, before making your way back to the car. Kids happy and admiring the beauty all around them. especially the bridges and the fountains. It was a whole new way of life and I loved it.

I just hope that someday we get the opportunity to live in both of those places again. I just can't imagine leaving them for good. I love Washington too, don't get me wrong. It's just that I know that someday I am sure we will be there for a good long while.
I'm not depressed or anything, just remembering and savoring the beautiful places we have lived. Just like I will when we leave here. Then I will remember the January days of 70 degree weather, bright blue, cloudless, skies, and days spent at the beach or at the park. I will savor that too. We have been so blessed.

Today- 70. Tomorrow- 71.
I love it here, I really do (almost all the time, my blog last week is evidence of that) but I still miss Germany and Georgia. My heart aches for both of those places.
The humidity, sun, storms, green grass, fireflies, wisteria, spanish moss. Our idyllic little lifestyle in our protected little neighborhoods. Walks on warm evenings with kids and bikes and stroller and husband or friends. Sundresses and sandals and no need for a jacket. Great local restaurants, early morning or late night runs. Savannah, Disney World and Northern Georgia just a few hours away. Heavenly.
And Germany... what can you say? Of course I love that if I need to run to the store I can find a quick parking spot and run in to Old Navy or Target or Michaels or Costco. But... there is something fabulous about parking blocks away and ambling down cobblestone roads to do your shopping. Then stopping for ice cream cones and sitting at a little cafe table in the markplatz in the cool shadow of a centuries old church, before making your way back to the car. Kids happy and admiring the beauty all around them. especially the bridges and the fountains. It was a whole new way of life and I loved it.
I just hope that someday we get the opportunity to live in both of those places again. I just can't imagine leaving them for good. I love Washington too, don't get me wrong. It's just that I know that someday I am sure we will be there for a good long while.
I'm not depressed or anything, just remembering and savoring the beautiful places we have lived. Just like I will when we leave here. Then I will remember the January days of 70 degree weather, bright blue, cloudless, skies, and days spent at the beach or at the park. I will savor that too. We have been so blessed.
Today- 70. Tomorrow- 71.
Comments