Skip to main content

Celebrity Play List- My sister in law, Marnie, had us all put together our Playlist for Life

Let me preface this by saying that I cheated. I have 15 songs. This is not entirely my fault. Mike and I were on the phone as I made my list and he kept coming up with songs that I had to add. Of course once I started listening to said song I couldn't not add it. There is definitely a period in my life where I listened to more music of my choosing. Now it's whatever makes the kids happy or NPR. I am an NPR junkie. I did not include in Erasure or ABBA, which I feel kind of weird about. Thanks Adina, for covering Erasure, that saved me a bit. Okay enough babbling.

Sweet Caroline-
Neil Diamond. My dad used to blast Neil Diamond from the stereo while we cleaned the house. It reminds me of him, of being a kid, and of listening to it later with Mike.

It Takes Two
-Rob Base. My sophomore year of high school. My freshman and sophomore years of high school were some of the happiest, most carefree years of my life. This song was played at assemblies, at games, in my friend Megan's car stereo (I couldn't drive) and reminds me of being young, stupid, and totally happy.

Only You- Yaz. I have loved this song and the album Upstairs at Eric's since I first heard it. I'm pretty sure it was at my friend Megan's house.

Shake the Disease- Depeche Mode. I loved Depeche Mode for so many years. Had a hard time finding a song that was appropriate for the family blog and hence, the reason I don't play too much Depeche Mode these days. Love them though.

Fire and Rain- James Taylor. Ah, we enter the "granola" phase of my life. It had so much to do with the music. I drove my 65 green Mustang, spent way too much time skipping school and wearing birkenstocks and loved every minute of it. James has stood the test of time. I still love him. He's amazing... and funny.

Bridge Over Troubled Waters- Simon and Garfunkle. This reminds me of my friends Mindy, Amy, and Lindsay and the summer after my senior year. Harmonizing as we drove to the lake or river. Oh, also skipping seminary. Can we not show this blog to kids?

Truckin'- Grateful Dead. Loved the Dead for so many years. High school, college, painting the Provo house after we were married. Again, don't listen to them too much anymore. I remember Jane asking me about the lyrics in one of the songs once when she was little and that was the end of that.

SGT. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band- the Beatles. Always listened to their early stuff with my mom and dad. I bought this tape at Tower Records in Seattle after a UW football game that my brother Adam and I went to together. It was dark and cold and rainy and we had so much fun. One of the few times we got along in high school. I listened to this tape non-stop, I also bought Mamas and the Papas, Soul Cages by Sting, and Simon and Garfunkle that day.

West End Girls- Pet Shop Boys. What I didn't realize until I started going to other stake dances was how great the D.J.(is that how you spell it?) was for our dances and why we always had TONS of people there. Loved Stake Dances until my senior year. Great Dance Music. Love the Pet Shop Boys, still turn them on when I run across the CD.

500 Miles- Proclaimers. This reminds me of going off to Ricks and the summer I met Mike. "Benny and Joon" came out and I saw it 5 times, including a date with Mike. I have very fond memories of this song.

Sweetest Thing- U2. I have loved U2 forever. It is one of the things that brought Mike and I together. U2 is the soundtrack to many of life's great memories.

Harvest Moon- Neil Young. Loved Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. Continued on with Mike with Neil Young. Listened to this album all the time in our early married days.

To Make You Feel My Love- Garth Brooks. Have to put a nod out to country music. Garth, the Dixie Chicks, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw. I don't listen to country music when Mike is gone, I bawl. This is one of my very favorite songs, love the version in "Hope Floats."

This Love- Maroon Five. After Ellyn was born my sister Ellynn came to stay with me in Georgia. Her friend Devon had just made her a mix. It was the most awesome mix ever. We still listen to those songs full blast. The girls love them. It reminds me of our trip to Savannah, Krispy Kreme donuts, staying up till 4 am watching 24 season 1 on DVD, our beautiful Georgia springs. It makes me happy.

Fix You- Coldplay. One of the few bands I can say I listen to these days. The Killers as well. Besides that, whatever Mike is listening to that doesn't assault my ears. This is the song that Sawyer would fall asleep to without fail when he was a baby. I would lay him in the middle of my bed and turn this on and he would be out.








Get a playlist!
Standalone player
Get Ringtones!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 and Another Go!

For almost three years I have been thinking how very sad it is that I hadn't continued to keep a journal of our family activities.  No more deployment letters and emails to Mike, no more family blog to keep grandparents and aunts and uncles connected to our family.  Nothing but printed off monthly calendars saved in a file somewhere.  I guess our family blog died a slow death when we lived in Washington and we were seeing everyone all of the time.  It just was not important to keep everyone informed.  They were right there with us.  I did not stop, in all the chaos, to think how very important the blog might be to me, or to my children.  I have often thought of the cute pictures and quotes we had saved on our family blog.  I thought of the interviews I did with the kiddos, and how grateful I was that, somewhere, on a dusty webpage, those beautiful faces, those funny antics, still existed.  I have checked to make sure the blog still existed fr...

MICHAEL IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!!

My Michael is coming home . You can't just say it. You have to SING it. Tomorrow my tall, strong, gorgeous, husband will be here and it will be beautiful. He will nestle into the life of our family and we will have him with us, here, in our house, in our family . He'll help put on jammies and read stories, and tutor Jane in math. He'll take me on dates and wrestle at least one child during sacrament meeting. He'll snuggle me in bed at night and nuzzle my neck while I'm doing dishes. We'll go for walks and play games and watch movies and do fun family Saturday stuff. He'll help carry a kid down to the car and then he'll drive while I put on my makeup ! We love him, we know how much he loves us. We can't wait! Don't worry, I won't work him to death. I won't make him cook dinner every night for the next 10 months or hand over the kids and take off to the spa for the weekend (tempting, but... no). We just want him HERE. I kee...
November 7, 2020, My Beautiful and Wise Daughter, Jane. I can breathe again. I won't be going to bed with my stomach in knots and my whole body feeling tight. I won’t be listening to a President who gains momentum by tearing others down. I won’t be going to sleep worrying that my children won’t have clean water to drink or clean air to breathe. I won’t be going to sleep thinking about the horrific experiences of children being torn from their mother’s and father’s arms because they were seeking refuge. I won’t be living in fear of the rapidly-growing racist attitudes and prejudice—that someday harm would come upon my baby that I have now and my future children. That my sister and my cousin and others that I love won’t be stripped of their rights and feel like they are any less of a human being than the rest of us. If this election wasn’t going to change anything for you and if you didn’t see the harm that Trump was causing, that is great and I’m sincerely glad that you have that p...