As a wife, especially as a military wife, you do hard things. It's the way it goes. Today I have decided what one of the hardest of those things might be, helping your husband pack. I'm not talking packing for a trip to the car races for the weekend or a weekend backpacking expedition. I'm talking about the kind when you know you aren't going to be with him again for a very, very, long time. That is the packing I dread. There are a few different aspects to this that make it so difficult and press me to put it on the list of things I hate.
First, the pressure. This is the case for any trip, is everything washed? Is everything found? Socks matched? But for a soldier it is much worse. There is SO much that they have to have, "according to regulation." You can't really fudge anything. You also feel like you are sending them out for an indefinite amount of time and you want them to be comfortable, be prepared, be safe. Have you done everything as a wife to ensure that is the case? Luckily right now I am sending him to a school in Georgia, not a war zone. Deployments are much worse.
Second, the mental separation. There it is, the moment you have been dreading. You have spent as much of every moment as you possibly can together, sleeping together, snuggling, lazing about, exercising together, eating out, playing with the kids, playing games, talking, but then... His mind has to go elsewhere, he is now in work mode, and he is preparing for an assignment that will have nothing to do with you. He is kind, but focused on what he is doing, and you are superfluous at the moment. You want to be helpful, but really, you are just a body in the room, sometimes in his way. He'll be back with you in just a few hours, but for now the time apart begins.
The last part is the heavy feeling in your heart, the lump in your throat, the stinging in your eyes, as you attempt to not show how this whole process is making you hurt. When Janie was a little girl I had to waitress a few nights a week to help make ends meet. Mike assured me that she always had a great time when I was gone. The problem was that, when I left the house, she was almost always in tears. That is the image I would carry with me the entire night and it would make my heart hurt. Finally she was old enough for me to explain that concept to her. From then on each night when it was time for me to leave she would take me to the door and give me a huge smile, sometimes it wavered, but she was so brave. I have heard my Janie explain that concept to Sadie, it has stuck with her through all these years. I think our entire family has that mentality, don't make daddy leave you looking sad and teary.
So tomorrow we'll say goodbye again. October has been magical. In some ways it has flown by, in other ways I am amazed at everything we have done. Christmas break is 6 weeks away. We will do our best to get back into the routine until husband and father is home again. Vacation will be amazing, but I will still dread the packing.
Comments