I have spent quite a bit of the summer contemplating how I was going to make this school year better. By better I mean- less chaotic, a house that was clean more often than it was messy, less feeling like I'm running a marathon every single day, children that are more independent and more responsible, free time spent more wisely. It is a big goal. It is one that we are accomplishing and I'm pretty excited about it. ONLY for my own records and not to brag, because I am sure plenty of other families have figured this out many moons ago (I am not, by nature, a very organized individual) I am laying out what we are doing.
1. I gave a special family home evening introducing our family theme for this year-
If there is a job worth doing it is worth doing well.
Start the job- don't put it off
Finish the job- see it through to the end (lid back on the toothpaste, pencil sharpener and shavings thrown away, etc...).
2. On days I am not running early I am waking up at 6 instead of 6:30, giving myself time to unload the dishwasher, change over the laundry, spend longer getting dressed, whatever needs to be done.
3. I made a checklist for myself for the things I need to check before I go to bed each night (bread out of the freezer, dishwasher started, etc... )things I mostly remember but sometimes forget. I laminated it. The girls each made their own as well.
4. Folded laundry put away before dinner.
5. A list a mile long of things the kids can do and must do before t.v., video games, texting, etc...
It's laminated. They have no excuse if I am working with Ellyn or making dinner.
I think that is most of it in a nutshell. I'm really proud of my kids, they are really taking it to heart and already there is a difference. I read a great article on organizing your family in LDS Living, much of what I had been thinking through was listed and I got a few great ideas as well. I no longer have a house full of little kids, it's time to make sure they have some really good habits. They know we like things clean but sometimes things are just too crazy or they don't know quite how to get there. Here's our baby steps:).
1. I gave a special family home evening introducing our family theme for this year-
If there is a job worth doing it is worth doing well.
Start the job- don't put it off
Finish the job- see it through to the end (lid back on the toothpaste, pencil sharpener and shavings thrown away, etc...).
2. On days I am not running early I am waking up at 6 instead of 6:30, giving myself time to unload the dishwasher, change over the laundry, spend longer getting dressed, whatever needs to be done.
3. I made a checklist for myself for the things I need to check before I go to bed each night (bread out of the freezer, dishwasher started, etc... )things I mostly remember but sometimes forget. I laminated it. The girls each made their own as well.
4. Folded laundry put away before dinner.
5. A list a mile long of things the kids can do and must do before t.v., video games, texting, etc...
It's laminated. They have no excuse if I am working with Ellyn or making dinner.
I think that is most of it in a nutshell. I'm really proud of my kids, they are really taking it to heart and already there is a difference. I read a great article on organizing your family in LDS Living, much of what I had been thinking through was listed and I got a few great ideas as well. I no longer have a house full of little kids, it's time to make sure they have some really good habits. They know we like things clean but sometimes things are just too crazy or they don't know quite how to get there. Here's our baby steps:).
Comments
Adina