For two weeks I have wanted to jab myself in the eyes with a fork. My eyes have itched so badly. This happened a few months ago but within a few days it went away. This time it did not and I finally called my doctor (I avoid this like the plague, especially without Jane here to babysit). Thankfully, my appointment was yesterday, the absolute worst day of itching. Just ask my kids how ornery I was on the way to the pharmacy.
An hour later I had my precious anti-allergy eye drops. My eyes did not feel 100% better right away, but there was some immediate relief. This morning I got to use the drops again and this afternoon I was finally able to apply mascara for the first time in weeks. I know my husband is grateful.
Sometimes I just have to take a moment to think about what we would be dealing with as a family if we didn't have the advances in medicine and surgery etc... that we do and I say a little prayer in a feeble attempt to acknowledge that blessing.
When I was in middle school (okay, and high school) I always wished I could live back in the days of Scarlett O'Hara, or Shadow of the Moon (never mind that both of these novels take place during terrible wars and horrendous hardships), or Anne of Green Gables. I was convinced I did not belong in this day, there had been a mistake. Well, there is still that part of me, but the much more logical part of me is grateful I live now. I love my mini van with remote controlled automatic sliding doors, my jaw surgery that made me look less like a mean old witch with a chin and saved my teeth from an early death, braces, back surgery, tonsilectomies for my kids, cell phones, the internet, allergy medication, SEIZURE MEDICATION, tampons, disposable diapers. I know, the list could go on forever, but today I am thankful for eye drops and that I can wear jeans any time I want.
An hour later I had my precious anti-allergy eye drops. My eyes did not feel 100% better right away, but there was some immediate relief. This morning I got to use the drops again and this afternoon I was finally able to apply mascara for the first time in weeks. I know my husband is grateful.
Sometimes I just have to take a moment to think about what we would be dealing with as a family if we didn't have the advances in medicine and surgery etc... that we do and I say a little prayer in a feeble attempt to acknowledge that blessing.
When I was in middle school (okay, and high school) I always wished I could live back in the days of Scarlett O'Hara, or Shadow of the Moon (never mind that both of these novels take place during terrible wars and horrendous hardships), or Anne of Green Gables. I was convinced I did not belong in this day, there had been a mistake. Well, there is still that part of me, but the much more logical part of me is grateful I live now. I love my mini van with remote controlled automatic sliding doors, my jaw surgery that made me look less like a mean old witch with a chin and saved my teeth from an early death, braces, back surgery, tonsilectomies for my kids, cell phones, the internet, allergy medication, SEIZURE MEDICATION, tampons, disposable diapers. I know, the list could go on forever, but today I am thankful for eye drops and that I can wear jeans any time I want.
Comments