Skip to main content

March Madness

"We write to taste life twice..." Anais Nin
and this past month was too delicious not to indulge in leftovers. Frankly, we've been so busy living there hasn't been much time for writing. I think that perhaps a photo essay might be best. So much for writing, eh? A picture is worth a thousand words anyway.
We can't believe how blessed we are to live in this gorgeous part of the world. To live here is to believe in God. We had several rainy days but we also had many clear days and we tried to make the most of them. We took a walk one Sunday out at Point Lobos. Mike took our wagon on the most wild ride of its long life. Ellyn happily walked the parts where we had to carry said wagon over rough terrain. As a side note, Jane is wearing a sweatshirt that I bought in England when I was 15. I love that thing and it has been so good to me.

My cute cousin Jess called at the beginning of March and asked if they could possibly spend their Spring Break with us. YES!!!! We partied all week long, all of us living on almost no sleep.
We planned something for every day. This was our hike up 2200 feet and back down. At sea level you hike through these enormous Redwoods. Mike and I are imitating Edward and Bella in New Moon. Why must every conversation they have be so intense?
Jess and Tony- tree huggers
Here we are taking a little rest about 3/4 of the way up.

Different day- exploring a litte cave at Point Lobos.
Okay, you can't see it, but this was a spaghetti dinner out on our front porch. I didn't have any pictures of Sadie and Ellyn and they are both so cute in these that I had to put them on. This was our Tuesday night dinner.



After dinner we hurried out the door to hit the Farmer's Market. It was already closing up (an hour early) so we walked down to Fisherman's Wharf. Where...

We sampled clam chowder and chose which restaurant we would be visiting later in the week. Fisherman's Grotto won and it was delicious.

We are holding our aching bellies. Sooo good.

Of course our trip included trips to the beach, nap times were disrupted. Sawyer attempts to catch up on some zzzzz's.
It was an amazing trip, we did the Aquarium and the Cheese Shop and downtown Carmel. Almost every night we stayed up playing board games (and much later struggled with children that don't know how to sleep well-Ind and El- that's you two). I am so glad they came, I hope it becomes a tradition. That's the plan anyway.

So... the morning Jess and Tony left we had big plans-

Mike and I joined three of our friends in a crazy, 5 mile "Mud Run," which included jumping over barriers, 5 foot walls, four pits filled with mud and water, push ups, and soldiers yelling at you all along the way. We had such a great time. I was cleaning mud out of my ears for 3 days.

The Mud Turkeys (turkeys made from all of our kids hand prints, that's why Mike and I have so many more) ready to run. Junior, Beth, Mike, me, and Jason- we are all in the lottery for the St. George Marathon as well!
Beth and I climbing the wall- Mike laughing at me.
We loved our medals, but you can't see them very well. Our teeth look amazingly white and I actually look like I have a tan!

That's March in a nutshell. BLOG OUT


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 and Another Go!

For almost three years I have been thinking how very sad it is that I hadn't continued to keep a journal of our family activities.  No more deployment letters and emails to Mike, no more family blog to keep grandparents and aunts and uncles connected to our family.  Nothing but printed off monthly calendars saved in a file somewhere.  I guess our family blog died a slow death when we lived in Washington and we were seeing everyone all of the time.  It just was not important to keep everyone informed.  They were right there with us.  I did not stop, in all the chaos, to think how very important the blog might be to me, or to my children.  I have often thought of the cute pictures and quotes we had saved on our family blog.  I thought of the interviews I did with the kiddos, and how grateful I was that, somewhere, on a dusty webpage, those beautiful faces, those funny antics, still existed.  I have checked to make sure the blog still existed fr...

MICHAEL IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!!

My Michael is coming home . You can't just say it. You have to SING it. Tomorrow my tall, strong, gorgeous, husband will be here and it will be beautiful. He will nestle into the life of our family and we will have him with us, here, in our house, in our family . He'll help put on jammies and read stories, and tutor Jane in math. He'll take me on dates and wrestle at least one child during sacrament meeting. He'll snuggle me in bed at night and nuzzle my neck while I'm doing dishes. We'll go for walks and play games and watch movies and do fun family Saturday stuff. He'll help carry a kid down to the car and then he'll drive while I put on my makeup ! We love him, we know how much he loves us. We can't wait! Don't worry, I won't work him to death. I won't make him cook dinner every night for the next 10 months or hand over the kids and take off to the spa for the weekend (tempting, but... no). We just want him HERE. I kee...
November 7, 2020, My Beautiful and Wise Daughter, Jane. I can breathe again. I won't be going to bed with my stomach in knots and my whole body feeling tight. I won’t be listening to a President who gains momentum by tearing others down. I won’t be going to sleep worrying that my children won’t have clean water to drink or clean air to breathe. I won’t be going to sleep thinking about the horrific experiences of children being torn from their mother’s and father’s arms because they were seeking refuge. I won’t be living in fear of the rapidly-growing racist attitudes and prejudice—that someday harm would come upon my baby that I have now and my future children. That my sister and my cousin and others that I love won’t be stripped of their rights and feel like they are any less of a human being than the rest of us. If this election wasn’t going to change anything for you and if you didn’t see the harm that Trump was causing, that is great and I’m sincerely glad that you have that p...