Skip to main content

Rough Week

This has been as Michael admitted "Kind of a Rough Week, Drama Queen Style." Please don't ask me what that means, I think it has something to do with being stressed in a somewhat dramatic sort of way over things that might or might not be deemed worthy of stress. I can always count on my husband for unending sympathy and support- in this form- "Shut up and drive on." Probably the best advice I could get. But still...

I had several insane, crazy schedule days that have left me exhausted and emotionally depleted. Mike has had a horrible cold and it is also his finals week (aka tired and cranky for a reason- not at us mind you, he's been very good about that), Jane fell riding her scooter down to the bus and scraped up both of her knees very badly and reopened the scab on one yesterday when she fell playing volleyball, and Sawyer has a cold.

Ellyn is quickly becoming more independent as we work on doing a great deal more walking (I bring my respite person with me to run errands so Ellyn isn't stuck in a cart). Now, however, I have a runner. I have chased her out doors way too many times to count this week, including at the gym where she is starting swim therapy and I had my pants half way down. A woman kindly held the door OPEN for her as she darted away. So... I was chasing after her holding the fly on pants that were already baggy. I am grateful for her new desire to be active, it will just take adjusting my way of doing things- again.

Also, I was finally able to get Ellyn in to a new DR., a DAN (defeat autism now) doctor, and there is now a list a million miles long of diet changes and lifestyle changes we need to make to eliminate contaminants from Ellyn's life and while I knew it was coming- I am overwhelmed. By the way, Ellyn screamed through the entire appt. The doctor often had to cup his hands around his mouth to make himself heard. Good times, good times.

Oh, I have to include the dentist appt. for Jane and Sadie for sealants and Sadie's cavity. I scheduled it when I knew Ellyn's aide would be here to babysit Ellabelle. But... she called in sick and so I had Ellyn and Sawyer at the dentist (Ellyn HATES dr.'s offices with good cause) and a poopie diaper mid visit. This was followed by Jane's cross country meet, quick dinner, and off to Young Women's. The morning was spent receiving potty training instruction for Ellyn, another intimidating prospect for me.

Mike and I had our long run yesterday and while my calf is completely healed, I have a knee giving me issues. The rest of my body felt great. I am praying REALLY hard that everything will heal up.

I guess I needed a week like this because just a little while ago I was thinking that life was really too perfect. I mean Sadie and Jane don't even argue anymore. I had nothing to complain about and what's the fun in that?

Well, I believe this is enough random ranting. Off to make handouts for my Young Women's lesson- not my favorite thing to do. The other day I saw the perfect quote - I am creative, not crafty. This is me. I have finally been able to put a label on it- phew for that.

P.S. Reading this over it might seem that I am complaining about my little Ellyn. Let me clarify- NO. We are reaching a new place in Ellyn's life, it's amazing, exciting, full of adventure and uncertainties, and it signifies progress, which is what we pray for always. Ellyn is moving forward and I just need to catch up!

Comments

Ellynn said…
Brooke, you are an amazing mama! I could never do what you do especially with the attitude with which you do it. Life will get easier again as you adjust to those changes you make for Elly. I know you know that. And then it will get hard again as she reaches new stages and new things are added to the family dynamic. I'm so glad you have Michael and your older girls to help you along. i love you my sister!
Barb/Mom said…
Your life makes me tired...I am so impressed with what you are doing, in spite of all the ups and downs. I hope your knee gets better so you can make the marathon. We all love you and are praying for you!

Barb
Meags said…
i can't even express how grateful i am to have a sister like you to look up to! you were sent here to teach the rest of us how it is done! i wish i could help but i don't think i would have the patients. get new shoes it is time and you don't want to risk all your hard work! i love you my sister!
Joan said…
Rarely do I venture off the main blog but I'm glad I did to hear about your every day life! Wow, your amazing! Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

2018 and Another Go!

For almost three years I have been thinking how very sad it is that I hadn't continued to keep a journal of our family activities.  No more deployment letters and emails to Mike, no more family blog to keep grandparents and aunts and uncles connected to our family.  Nothing but printed off monthly calendars saved in a file somewhere.  I guess our family blog died a slow death when we lived in Washington and we were seeing everyone all of the time.  It just was not important to keep everyone informed.  They were right there with us.  I did not stop, in all the chaos, to think how very important the blog might be to me, or to my children.  I have often thought of the cute pictures and quotes we had saved on our family blog.  I thought of the interviews I did with the kiddos, and how grateful I was that, somewhere, on a dusty webpage, those beautiful faces, those funny antics, still existed.  I have checked to make sure the blog still existed fr...

MICHAEL IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!!

My Michael is coming home . You can't just say it. You have to SING it. Tomorrow my tall, strong, gorgeous, husband will be here and it will be beautiful. He will nestle into the life of our family and we will have him with us, here, in our house, in our family . He'll help put on jammies and read stories, and tutor Jane in math. He'll take me on dates and wrestle at least one child during sacrament meeting. He'll snuggle me in bed at night and nuzzle my neck while I'm doing dishes. We'll go for walks and play games and watch movies and do fun family Saturday stuff. He'll help carry a kid down to the car and then he'll drive while I put on my makeup ! We love him, we know how much he loves us. We can't wait! Don't worry, I won't work him to death. I won't make him cook dinner every night for the next 10 months or hand over the kids and take off to the spa for the weekend (tempting, but... no). We just want him HERE. I kee...
November 7, 2020, My Beautiful and Wise Daughter, Jane. I can breathe again. I won't be going to bed with my stomach in knots and my whole body feeling tight. I won’t be listening to a President who gains momentum by tearing others down. I won’t be going to sleep worrying that my children won’t have clean water to drink or clean air to breathe. I won’t be going to sleep thinking about the horrific experiences of children being torn from their mother’s and father’s arms because they were seeking refuge. I won’t be living in fear of the rapidly-growing racist attitudes and prejudice—that someday harm would come upon my baby that I have now and my future children. That my sister and my cousin and others that I love won’t be stripped of their rights and feel like they are any less of a human being than the rest of us. If this election wasn’t going to change anything for you and if you didn’t see the harm that Trump was causing, that is great and I’m sincerely glad that you have that p...