Skip to main content

Slacker

This was a title I embraced proudly for many years. Now I rarely do, but I really wish I could. God knows our strengths and weaknesses and how to make us grow. Hopefully I am doing the right amount of growing because I don't think I can take on any more. But... when I wrote that title I was referring to the blog and my little family history and how I have been cheating and just posting pictures. I know that I need to write it down because I will be sad later.

First, Sadie rescued my cell phone. I was sitting in the living room, nursing Sawyer and Sadie came to me carrying our big flashlight. She announced that she was going to go get my cell phone. I knew she was looking for an excuse to play with the flashlight since "it is not a toy, it needs to have batteries that work when we really need it." But I told her to go ahead. Not thirty seconds later she was back with my phone, no, I don't know how. As Michael says "Sadie Rocks." She really does. She has decided to give up ballet in favor of "Creative Dramatics." Like we need more drama. But... she has wanted to do it since the beginning of the year and since there was a scheduling conflict with Jane's soccer games we couldn't make it work. So now we will do DRAMA for the rest of the school year.

Jane's soccer coach finally got someone to help her and as a result Jane has had much more positive feedback at soccer from the new defensive coach. She actually got to play for about 10 minutes in the last game and made some really great plays. She said that several of the girls told the coach that Jane should get to play more. It made her really happy to have that kind of support. We'll see how much she plays in this last week of games. We have three of them. She does understand though, it might not happen.

Jane is also very happy with school. She has made a really good friend in band. Her name is Charlotte. Now all the giggling stories begin. Charlotte will be spending the night after the Halloween Dance on Friday. Should be fun. Jane is also loving to practice her flute. I think Charlotte is partly responsible, she has been playing for a while and they like to practice together during lunch. Jane plays all the time here at home and in the car. There are certain advantages to having a portable and small intstrument, easier to get the practicing in.

Ellyn said "blue bead," "rat a tat tat," "hot," and "bath" this week. We are hoping that many new words follow and that we get to hear the same ones again. I think she was pretty upset with me for leaving because she has started scratching me and pulling my hair again. I hope that this will phase out quickly. She loves listening to Nat King Cole right now. I have it in my stereo in the kitchen and she will listen happily for long periods of time while I make food or clean it up. If she is upset it instantly soothes her. I don't blame her, I love it too. Sadie does not, and Jane does not like the song "Mona Lisa." Just so you know.

Sawyer is walking everywhere now. He is so cute and so spoiled. He is getting more steady by the day. Our biggest challenge is to keep Ellyn and the dogs from knocking him down. He loves the dogs and they love him and they love to run in the house and lick his face. It's pretty funny.

The dogs are finally part of the family. I filled in the garden dirt area on the patio where they go to the bathroom with bark so they aren't getting all dirty, we have soapy rags to wash their paws before they come into the house, we have made a rule that they cannot get up on any furniture, and now I have to say that I am really starting to adore them. They have even learned to leave Sawyer's binky alone. They love eating all of Sawyer's and Ellyn's food off the floor and that makes my job just a little bit easier:). We just have to watch for certain foods that can make them sick and make sure we let them outside to "potty" fairly often.

Mike is back in Germany safe and sound. We are very grateful but we are both in agreement that this is the longest month and a half on record. We had a wonderful time together at the beginning of the month. We didn't do much. Sawyer came with me and he never managed to change time zones. So... we spent much of the night awake, but we really didn't mind. We watched movies, played games, ate, and you know, whatever married couples do. We did go out to eat several times and I took Mike to Rothenburg as well. It went by way too quickly. We are now counting down the days till we are all together again. Thanksgiving we will be giving thanks indeed.

Sawyer just woke up from his morning nap so I had better go. Blog out.

Comments

Ellynn said…
so what do married couples do that haven't seen each other for rediculous amounts of time and only have one child around which is sleeping?
Ellynn said…
k really don't answer that. jane doesn't need to know that yet.

Popular posts from this blog

2018 and Another Go!

For almost three years I have been thinking how very sad it is that I hadn't continued to keep a journal of our family activities.  No more deployment letters and emails to Mike, no more family blog to keep grandparents and aunts and uncles connected to our family.  Nothing but printed off monthly calendars saved in a file somewhere.  I guess our family blog died a slow death when we lived in Washington and we were seeing everyone all of the time.  It just was not important to keep everyone informed.  They were right there with us.  I did not stop, in all the chaos, to think how very important the blog might be to me, or to my children.  I have often thought of the cute pictures and quotes we had saved on our family blog.  I thought of the interviews I did with the kiddos, and how grateful I was that, somewhere, on a dusty webpage, those beautiful faces, those funny antics, still existed.  I have checked to make sure the blog still existed fr...

MICHAEL IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!!

My Michael is coming home . You can't just say it. You have to SING it. Tomorrow my tall, strong, gorgeous, husband will be here and it will be beautiful. He will nestle into the life of our family and we will have him with us, here, in our house, in our family . He'll help put on jammies and read stories, and tutor Jane in math. He'll take me on dates and wrestle at least one child during sacrament meeting. He'll snuggle me in bed at night and nuzzle my neck while I'm doing dishes. We'll go for walks and play games and watch movies and do fun family Saturday stuff. He'll help carry a kid down to the car and then he'll drive while I put on my makeup ! We love him, we know how much he loves us. We can't wait! Don't worry, I won't work him to death. I won't make him cook dinner every night for the next 10 months or hand over the kids and take off to the spa for the weekend (tempting, but... no). We just want him HERE. I kee...
November 7, 2020, My Beautiful and Wise Daughter, Jane. I can breathe again. I won't be going to bed with my stomach in knots and my whole body feeling tight. I won’t be listening to a President who gains momentum by tearing others down. I won’t be going to sleep worrying that my children won’t have clean water to drink or clean air to breathe. I won’t be going to sleep thinking about the horrific experiences of children being torn from their mother’s and father’s arms because they were seeking refuge. I won’t be living in fear of the rapidly-growing racist attitudes and prejudice—that someday harm would come upon my baby that I have now and my future children. That my sister and my cousin and others that I love won’t be stripped of their rights and feel like they are any less of a human being than the rest of us. If this election wasn’t going to change anything for you and if you didn’t see the harm that Trump was causing, that is great and I’m sincerely glad that you have that p...