There is part of me that aches for the days of snuggling little babies. Chubby cheeks, chubby buns, the way my Jane called all meat "Hoggie." Sadie called herself "Deedee," Ellyn would nuzzle into my neck, Sawyer could pronounce no consonants. Toddling little bodies, with bright smiles, and wispy curls. I loved it. I couldn't do it again, but I love it and miss it.
We were looking through videos and pictures one rainy Saturday afternoon and we (Mike, Sadie, Sawyer, and I) were laughing... and I was crying. We have so many years of amazing memories.
But... I love this stage as well. I enjoy being able to have real conversations with my kids, I appreciate their humor, I love doing things that we all love to do as their ideas of fun grow up.
I was thinking all of this the other night, in Mike's den. Mike was changing his photos out on his Facebook profile. He decided the background photo for his page should be a picture of the girls and me at Neuschwanstien Castle in Germany back in the fall of 2006. Sawyer was looking over his shoulder and said "Really dad? Really, a picture without me?" in his most put out, sarcastic tone. Mike and I laughed and explained to Sawyer that life had happened before he was born. He just shook his head in mock disgust. Meanwhile, Mike started labeling the faces in the picture. So Jane and I were both tagged, meaning it would show up to our Facebook friends as well as Mike's. Jane was 11 in the picture. She was darling, but young, and I knew she would be mad. I told Mike "Jane is going to kill you." He was asking why and telling me it was such a cute picture and then he noticed the pic already had two "likes." They were both Jane's friends. Less than 30 seconds after we started this conversation we hear Jane yelling from her bedroom "DAAAD!!!" It was awesome.
We were looking through videos and pictures one rainy Saturday afternoon and we (Mike, Sadie, Sawyer, and I) were laughing... and I was crying. We have so many years of amazing memories.
But... I love this stage as well. I enjoy being able to have real conversations with my kids, I appreciate their humor, I love doing things that we all love to do as their ideas of fun grow up.
I was thinking all of this the other night, in Mike's den. Mike was changing his photos out on his Facebook profile. He decided the background photo for his page should be a picture of the girls and me at Neuschwanstien Castle in Germany back in the fall of 2006. Sawyer was looking over his shoulder and said "Really dad? Really, a picture without me?" in his most put out, sarcastic tone. Mike and I laughed and explained to Sawyer that life had happened before he was born. He just shook his head in mock disgust. Meanwhile, Mike started labeling the faces in the picture. So Jane and I were both tagged, meaning it would show up to our Facebook friends as well as Mike's. Jane was 11 in the picture. She was darling, but young, and I knew she would be mad. I told Mike "Jane is going to kill you." He was asking why and telling me it was such a cute picture and then he noticed the pic already had two "likes." They were both Jane's friends. Less than 30 seconds after we started this conversation we hear Jane yelling from her bedroom "DAAAD!!!" It was awesome.
Comments