As we have travelled across the U.S. and even across the Atlantic there has been one Halloween tradition that I have always relied on, a certainty that makes Halloween, Halloween. Whether it is 80 degrees and humid, snowing and freezing cold, in a country that does not celebrate Halloween except maybe by sending their children to the crazy Americans for some candy, or in a neighborhood of retired wealthy Carmelites bewildered by this family of imposters. It brings the reality of the season into my home and yet takes me right back to my mom's kitchen. I am back in rainy, overcast Washington on a fall day but I am warm and cozy and home. I anticipate my brown, paper wrapped box with Christmas morning anticipation. It comes, sometimes weeks before Halloween, sometimes just in the nick of time. Sometimes my dad's handwriting spells out our current location, sometimes one of my sisters has been in charge of the mailing. Most of the time, however, it is the neat, beautiful, printing of my mother. Inside the box it is always the same. Orange popcorn balls, wrapped around tootsie pops or blow pops, and Halloween shirts for me and each of the kids. I hope my mom knows how much I depend on her package each year, the love I feel for her and from her as I eye the abundant supply of popcorn balls filling every possible space in our goody box, as my children squeal with delight as they figure out which bright orange, black, or white, t-shirt is theirs. Simple yes, but appreciated so very, very, much. I hate to admit it but my kids get a small fraction of the precious treat. I hide my popcorn balls after the first day and work on them one pulled off piece at a time, a reward for cleaning or doing laundry, or paying bills. I love knowing my popcorn ball is waiting for me. Silly, I know. Anyone that knows me knows I am obsessed by food so this should come as no surprise. They make me happy, they make me feel loved. They are a constant in an adventurous life that does not always have too many external constants.

My precious booty!

Sawyer and Sadie modeling their stylish Halloween attire.

When we moved here over a year ago there were almost no children in the neighborhood. They came mostly in the single variety. However this past year we have had several move ins and we have become more social with long timers. So this year I hosted the first annual bus stop Halloween party. It was a very informal affair. I provided the venue, paper goods, a lesson on how to make shrunken heads, and some carmel corn. Each family brought a treat and a few other moms brought a craft. We have a fabulous time and have decided that we should continue the tradition throughout the year, depending on the holiday. Works for me, as long as I'm not doing all the cooking!

Katrina and Anne. Love them. Our party was supposed to be outside. The day started out bright and beautiful but a fog rolled in. Hot Apple Cider became a must. As mentioned, we made shrunken heads, decorated mini pumpkins, frosted cookies, and ate way too many yummy things to mention.

The end.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

My precious booty!

Sawyer and Sadie modeling their stylish Halloween attire.

When we moved here over a year ago there were almost no children in the neighborhood. They came mostly in the single variety. However this past year we have had several move ins and we have become more social with long timers. So this year I hosted the first annual bus stop Halloween party. It was a very informal affair. I provided the venue, paper goods, a lesson on how to make shrunken heads, and some carmel corn. Each family brought a treat and a few other moms brought a craft. We have a fabulous time and have decided that we should continue the tradition throughout the year, depending on the holiday. Works for me, as long as I'm not doing all the cooking!

Katrina and Anne. Love them. Our party was supposed to be outside. The day started out bright and beautiful but a fog rolled in. Hot Apple Cider became a must. As mentioned, we made shrunken heads, decorated mini pumpkins, frosted cookies, and ate way too many yummy things to mention.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Comments