Skip to main content

A Whole New World

... a thrilling place I never knew. Sing it with me. Is it terrible that I have spent the last two afternoons positively reveling in aloneness? Ellyn started going to school full day yesterday. Now I love the girl dearly and miss her quite a bit as well. But... now instead of my entire morning being a mad scramble- wake up early, run, come home, make lunches and get kids dressed, out the door 1,2,3 different buses, clean up, get showered and dressed, run errands, pay bills, make phone calls, play with Sawyer, lunch, and down for a nap by 11:45 so I am sure we have stories read and he's asleep before Ellyn gets home... Now, I have the entire day. I go to gym co-op after the kids leave for school. No more insane 4:30 wake up times (for now, I'm sure when I start training for something that will be back). I can run errands all morning and still straighten, relaxed lunch with Sawyer, down for his nap, and then AHHHH! That is not a scream, it is a deep sigh. Yesterday I watched a show on Netflix that I wanted to watch while I folded laundry. Today I matted and framed the picture Mike gave me for my birthday (we were waiting for the mat to come in). All the while the house is neat and there is silence, sweet, sweet nothing. Do I think it will get old. I believe not. I do believe this is a much needed moment of stillness in my day. Not that I won't be productive. I will. Productivity will just not be accompanied by the usual hullaballoo that is this crazy life of ours. I have high hopes for what I may be able to accomplish during these two precious hours every day. We shall see...

In other news, Ellyn was approved for a full day aide (hence the fact that she is going full time), we love Veronica and Ellyn really loves school. Have I mentioned that we have our favorite bus driver ever back? Don is driving Ellie in the afternoons. Hurray! Ellyn was also given an i-pad through a grant given to the company that contracts with the school district for her aide (catch all that?). This is awesome because there are now a few hundred apps out there in the world for children with autism. Of course tonight her dad is "sharing" her shiny new toy. We are anxious to put her new apple product to good use.

Sawyer is OCD, I swear. He tells me only 600 or so times a day that he is _____, whatever Superhero he has chosen to be for the hour, minute, play routine, he is currently in the midst of. Today he even woke up from his nap as I was sneaking through the room, he sat straight up, looked at me, said "Mommy, I Batman" and zonked right down on to his pillow.

Sadie is loving school, they work so hard but Sadie does not complain too much. She still thinks her teacher is hilarious. Oh, if he could have only taught her in 2nd grade as well. Sadie's hair finally fits back into a ponytail. This is big news round these parts.

Jane is enjoying her school work, disliking her classmates, and yearning for the day when she will shake off the shackles of Carmel middle schoolers and move on to new adventures.

Mike is working his finger pads to the bone, preparing for the last day of the quarter, which arrives next Friday.

Okay, I'm sleepy and this is going to be very disjointed. I'm helping Mike set up Ellyn's "Proloquo to Go" on the I-pad.

Good Night

Comments

Lisa said…
I can't believe you were getting up at 4:30 when I used to have to cajole you to get up at 6:00 so that we could run together!
Darla said…
Brooke,
thank you for always keeping us posted on each and every person in the family. I love it. And I think June has OCD, as well. Talks. non. stop.

Popular posts from this blog

2018 and Another Go!

For almost three years I have been thinking how very sad it is that I hadn't continued to keep a journal of our family activities.  No more deployment letters and emails to Mike, no more family blog to keep grandparents and aunts and uncles connected to our family.  Nothing but printed off monthly calendars saved in a file somewhere.  I guess our family blog died a slow death when we lived in Washington and we were seeing everyone all of the time.  It just was not important to keep everyone informed.  They were right there with us.  I did not stop, in all the chaos, to think how very important the blog might be to me, or to my children.  I have often thought of the cute pictures and quotes we had saved on our family blog.  I thought of the interviews I did with the kiddos, and how grateful I was that, somewhere, on a dusty webpage, those beautiful faces, those funny antics, still existed.  I have checked to make sure the blog still existed fr...

MICHAEL IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!!

My Michael is coming home . You can't just say it. You have to SING it. Tomorrow my tall, strong, gorgeous, husband will be here and it will be beautiful. He will nestle into the life of our family and we will have him with us, here, in our house, in our family . He'll help put on jammies and read stories, and tutor Jane in math. He'll take me on dates and wrestle at least one child during sacrament meeting. He'll snuggle me in bed at night and nuzzle my neck while I'm doing dishes. We'll go for walks and play games and watch movies and do fun family Saturday stuff. He'll help carry a kid down to the car and then he'll drive while I put on my makeup ! We love him, we know how much he loves us. We can't wait! Don't worry, I won't work him to death. I won't make him cook dinner every night for the next 10 months or hand over the kids and take off to the spa for the weekend (tempting, but... no). We just want him HERE. I kee...
November 7, 2020, My Beautiful and Wise Daughter, Jane. I can breathe again. I won't be going to bed with my stomach in knots and my whole body feeling tight. I won’t be listening to a President who gains momentum by tearing others down. I won’t be going to sleep worrying that my children won’t have clean water to drink or clean air to breathe. I won’t be going to sleep thinking about the horrific experiences of children being torn from their mother’s and father’s arms because they were seeking refuge. I won’t be living in fear of the rapidly-growing racist attitudes and prejudice—that someday harm would come upon my baby that I have now and my future children. That my sister and my cousin and others that I love won’t be stripped of their rights and feel like they are any less of a human being than the rest of us. If this election wasn’t going to change anything for you and if you didn’t see the harm that Trump was causing, that is great and I’m sincerely glad that you have that p...