Ellyn's Golden Birthday was truly exciting for all of us. This was the first year that WE, as a family, could tell that Ellyn knew it was HER day. Perhaps she has known every year, but in the past the cake and ice cream seemed to be all that mattered. This year both her YW class, and her Sunday School class, dropped off treats and heart attacked our front door. When Ellyn walked outside to get on her bus the morning of her birthday she paused, without any prompting. Ellyn looked at the hearts, smiled, pointed to one, then turned and walked to her bus.
At school, Ellyn's teacher had programed, "Happy Birthday, Ellyn!" into every child's speaking device. I took in Valentine's donuts from Krispy Kreme (one of Ellyn's very favorite foods on Earth), and all through treat time the boys were pushing their birthday buttons. Ellyn also started singing "Happy Birthday to You!" all on her own. She also said "Ellyn."
As if in celebration of Ellyn's birthday, our new playground toys were installed at our HOA park the day before. There are now swings, rubber mulch, bobble toys, and a new merry-go-round. It is perfect. There are seats on the merry-go- round that work perfectly for our Boo! We can get about 10 neighborhood kiddos piled on as well! They are very sweet to Ellyn, and take good care of her. I have been so impressed. I'm sure there is added motivation knowing that I will spin them for the duration, but you can also see their kindness. It has been wonderful!
Ellyn received and international video call from Grandma Barb and Papa in the Philippines. She was somewhat attentive. I loved it though! We finished off the night with a fondue party with Jess, Tony, and the girls. Truthfully, by then Ellyn was partied out. She left for the main course, but was back for dessert! Donuts and million other things dipped in chocolate, what could be better? Mike and I bought her noise cancelling headphones, now that she has been leaving Mike's on consistently. I also bought her some more teenager-ish clothes, Mike bought the movie "Coco." I picked up beads, crayons, princess washcloths, and bubbles at the Dollar Store, just to give her some "fun" presents. Indie loved the bubbles. Ellyn has loved the beads. It's always so hard to figure out presents for that girl. We usually go with experiences!
Of course at our house birthdays are seasons. Grandma Bennett arranged to have all the Bennett aunts, uncles, and cousins send cards. Most came on Ellyn's birthday, and Ellyn looked through them with interest. I was impressed. The day after Ellyn's birthday letters came from Geof's family, and a card came from Pa. Ellyn had me read each of her cousins' letters a few times. I was amazed. But then Pa's letter!!!! Ellyn loves it! I read that letter to her no less than 30 times over two days. She would hand it to me, and nod, and say "Pa." If I can eventually attach a video, I will. Again, I wondered what goes on in that sweet girl's head. She just saw Pa at Christmas, they do picture identification with family pictures at school. When we arrived at Mom and Dad's she went straight to the cereal cupboard, even though it had been two and a half years. How present are her memories? OOOOHHHH to get access to what she thinks and feels!
I love our little 14 year old in ways that cannot be explained. She is so loving, mischievous, and fun. It feels like every day she is showing us something else that she knows, a new word, a new skill. It is a joy to watch this long legged kiddo grow!
Comments